Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thursday, Wednesday, it’s all the same

Even though I had today off of work, I still had to set my alarm because I had an appointment.  So I was up and at em with the roosters pigeons (?), which was kinda nice because I rarely get to see my K love in the AM.  He made a massive pot of java, which I had with minimal frills (I was lazy and didn’t feel like frothing).

IMG_1078

Crossword & coffee makes E a happy hippie :)

IMG_2700

Yesterday’s oats were so bomb.com that I decided to repeat the morning routine.  This time I went with nanner slices, cinnamon, almond milk, and stevia.

I debated straightening my hair for all of 4 minutes, and then decided the dermatologist wasn’t THAT special.  I mean, sure med school is hard and all…but don’t expect me to bow at your feet make myself presentable for you.

Random rant to follow, scroll away if you are only here for the food:

I don’t understand HOW medical offices get SO behind.  I mean, I work in the hospital, so I empathize with healthcare professionals (let’s face it, all patients aren’t as delightful as you would hope), but come ON…can you just pretend that you care about being punctual?  I always try to get the earliest appointments (less time to get behind), so I don’t even want to think of when the poor suckers with afternoon appointments get seen. 

So, this morning I got to the doctor’s office a bit earlier than my appt (9:15 am), and watched the clock tick tock tick tock for a full hour before they finally called my name (45 minutes after my 9:30 appointment)…I guess there are some things that will never change – one of them being the tedious snail’s pace that the delinquent clerks at the front desk are so set on keeping. 

I didn’t get out until 11, and since I was already in Union Square, I couldn’t help but do a little retail therapy (not that the news was bad, but I have some thinking to do)…

In case you didn’t know, 14th St/Union Square is packed with my fave stores….so which temptation did I give in to? 

Whole Foods?  Nope! – I know, I know!  [insert gasp here]

Lululemon?  Nope!

Barnes & Noble?  Yep :)

I could have perused the aisles for hours, but I managed to keep it to 30 minutes and $30.  Success!

IMG_2698

I had this ‘lil bugger when I got home.  GNU Foods flavor & fiber Cinnamon Raisin bar.

IMG_2696

Meh.  It was a bit smaller and more bland than my odwalla love…the super protein flavor odwalla bar is more sugar-y, but in a good way, not a HFCS way.

IMG_2697

Pros: The “It works!” quote in the top corner of the wrapper ‘aint no lie (wink wink) – granted I had a heaping bowl of oats for brekkie, so I think I’ve hit my fiber max for the day (hahaha, yeah riiiiight, as if I have a fiber max)! Cons:  As I mentioned before, it’s a bit small (I prefer the extra kcals in the odwalla bar if it keeps my tummy satisfied longer).  Also, it’s not as sweet as I was hoping it would be.  But that’s just me :)  In the end, I don’t think I’d buy it again.

Gym time!

I was pretty lazy today, and my workout was lackluster at best

I zoned out to Paris Hilton’s BFF show and the Duel while sweating out on the elliptical…pretty sure my IQ is significantly lowered from such thought provoking entertainment.

I went hummus cuhhhraaaazay when I got home.

IMG_2675

Falafel veggie burgers!  Seriously? Seriously!

IMG_2815

I had a couple mini falafel balls with some petite carrots, apple slices, and a toasted english muffin – all submerged in some FABBY sabra love!

IMG_2816

I just had to dive back in with more apples.  Luuurve me some sabra!

IMG_2821

All gone (tear).

I accomplished some very super duper important tasks after my late lunch.  Cleaning.  Cooking.  Wedding church research.  I felt like quite the housewife. 

I had a multi-course dinner.  Not even the Queen of England eats this well!  Trust me, she would be way jealous if she knew the vegan yumminess she was missing out on.

Course 1: Home-made seitan cutlet with re-thawed “cheesy” cauliflower mash, topped in a mini-mogul of vegan parm.

IMG_2740 

Course 2: Steamed green beans with more “cheesy” cauliflower.

IMG_2739

Course 3: Red bell pepper

IMG_2823

Psych!  (not that it’s that abnormal to make a bell pepper into a meal)  But, I did make a reeeedik sized salad (with a whole lotta crunchy bell pepper).

I bought the (above) gorgy beast yesterday, but was trying to hold off since we still have half a green bell pepper in the fridge.  But isn’t it purrty?  How could I resist that cute little spiral tendril and the shiny red exterior…so I sliced and diced my way to salad bliss!

IMG_2824

I told you!!  This salad is SO big you can’t even SEE that there’s a bell pepper buried in there.  I can’t even begin to recall the ingreds, just assume if you can buy it in the store, it’s in the salad.

By the by, I’ve been downing chickpeas like it’s my j-o-bizzle, forcing me to make them (from the dried beans) on a daily basis now…I just finished my first bag today!  Clearly I’m obsessed.  So much cheaper!!

I was about to pop after this nosh-fest…but eventually I found the room for a bowl of melon (dessert is a non-negotiable in my book). 

IMG_2812

It looks small, but this is actually about two cups of fruit. 

Are you proud of me for going a whole DAY without Kombucha?!

21 comments:

  1. Sure Am!

    I am going to feel the same way when my hummus is gone! It is the perfect thing to dunk my carrots in!

    Awesome salad!

    p.s. Infamous, famous..they're all the same in my dictionary....Thanks for setting things straight for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salads always look awesome! I am eating more lately because it's so damn hot out I don't even want to turn on the stove or oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to so much in this post...but mostly a love of crosswords and Barnes & Noble:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure you are my sister from another mister with your hair straightening dilemma, impatient patient status, Sabra hummus killin' and ridunkulously large salad! I think I love you (and myself).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit, Elise! Now I want cheesy cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question..what do you froth yo coffee with? Soy milk? Soy cream? Something soy? Just wonderin' how my vegan homegirl likes her coffee!

    I don't understand why offices tell you to get there at x time and you get called 45 minutes lata. Sh!t ain't right! Who do they think they iz?!

    Random fact: Did you know Odwalla products are made in Half Moon Bay? I didn't until like a month ago! Rep that Pacific Ocean!

    And where are the falafel burgers from!?!?!?! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, reading your post this morning just made me remember a dream I had last night about trying seitan! Haha! Wow, that's pretty bad to be dreaming in detail about food. In the dream I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. In case you were wondering.

    $30 in 30 minutes is damn impressive for a bookstore. I'm with you, I could just stroll the aisles for hours and spend about a million dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought K love meant me for second and then it clicked you were talking about the other K in your life ;)

    AMEN on your Dr's rant!! I sat in a room once for nearly an hour waiting for the dude and all that needed checked out was my ankle - seriously 10 minutes tops! I was so pissed, if I hadn't been in pain I would have blown that popsicle stand.

    The 'it works!' is my favorite part about the Gnu bars! I need to track down those falafel balls :) The picture of you with an empty hummus container is one of the saddest things I've seen all day.

    Red bells all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just tell you how happy coffee and a crossword in the morning make me?! LE SIGH... pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally discriminate against green bell peps! Hate them! And i definitely thought those herbs were WEED in your last post :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I am proud of you! Well done.

    Loves all the veggie courses AND the fact that bell pepper was considered a Course of your meal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG--I could not agree more with your dr office rant! It is ridic! I *always* try to get the first appt of the morning--or at least an early one--and last time I went to the orthopeidist, I had what I assume is the first appt at 8:00. I sat around waiting til 8:50! What?! How could he already be running late?! I was the FIRST freaking appt! Don't double book, people! And if you do double book, see ME first! Ha! (end rant here)

    Congrats on a whole day without Kombucha! I am sure your wallet thanks you :o) Those falafel veggie burgers look amazing! Where did you find them?

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elise, darling! I just did a quick search and came across this bakery:
    http://cravebakery.com/

    I know we have a wedding cake feature coming out in one of our up-coming issues, so I can ask around today to see if anyone has recommendations!

    Have a fab Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can never understand why appointments run late when they are the first appointments of the day- 5-10 minutes, okay, but an hour is insane! do they just send the people with 4:30 appointments home because they are by that point 5 hours behind schedule?..

    Congrats on the Kombucha free day- your bank balance will apprecciate it! I have yet to try it, but found kombucha cordial in the store. Tempted to give it a go but it's not fruit flavoured so trying to imagine how it might taste before shelling out the £12 (ie, $24!) for it...eeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  15. forgot to say, and you probably already know this but they are doing free bike hire for the summer downtown...

    more info here:

    http://www.downtownny.com/bikearound/

    ReplyDelete
  16. yessss no kombucha day 1! just think that's like another tub of hummus you can buy!

    uhh important question before we watch fball together? jets or giants..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! :) Just found your cute blog. I always forget about cauliflower "mashed potatoes." Mpotaters +gravy are my favorite southerny indulgence so I need to try your cheesy cauliflower version!

    I tried watching Paris Hilton's BFF show the other day and yesss the whole "TTYN" thing is so cheezy lol. Definitely lost a few brain cells... Have a great day :)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Only $30 in 30 minutes? I need you to give me lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha! I love that we are congratulating you on going a day without something good for you-like kombucha, and not diet coke (or something else along those lines....)!! Congrats though! Now go spend those 4 dollas saved on a new container of sabra hummus! ;) I kid....I kid!

    Pretty oatmeal, once again! And that english muffin, hummus, apple, baby carrots, falafel plate.....totally my type of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy your eats, Elise! Esp. the salads :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Protein Odwalla is really the best bar ever, but I like the cinnamon gnu in a pinch too. Do you like the banana walnut gnu? I like that one.

    ReplyDelete