Thursday, February 12, 2009

heart your heart

Kyle was doing God-knows-what in the kitch this morning, so I was up at 8 even though I didn’t work today.  Still, I went to bed before 1 am last night, so I almost got 8 hours of zzzz, good enough!  I really enjoyed all the feedback on everyone’s sleep patterns.  It definitely inspired me to hit the sack earlier confirmed that I am a freak and I should truly be getting more REM cycles in each night, fo’ sho!  So, as usual, thanks bloggies :)

Since I was already up, I figured I may as well get the day started.  So I made some tea to sip while reading. 

IMG_0752

I was not planning on finishing it!!  I was only half way through when I got up this morning, and before I knew it, it was 10 and I was done with the book!!  It was so good, with such a surprising twist at the end, I really recommend reading this one.

Then I made some frothy coffee and brekkie just in time to sit down and watch the View with my yummy eats.

IMG_0359

Berries GoMega odwalla bar (from my secret cupid) crumbled into a vanilla o’soy yogurt with some nanner slices.

IMG_0363

I really like yogurt with granola/cereal/oats…so I figured why not crumble up my bar and put it in the yog?  So tasty :)  Plus bananas just about go with everything.

For lunch I made a sammie with hummus and smart deli “turkey.”  It was pretty good, but def missed greenery (I used up all the lettuce last night in my salad).

IMG_0661

I also had an apple (one of the bushel given to me by my patient).

IMG_0761 

And my lunch dessert was dried fruit.

IMG_0763

Papaya and dates :)  L.O.V.E.

IMG_0458 

Gym time!  There is something about dried fruit that gets me pumped up and keeps my energy level high throughout mega cardio sessions.  Today I was feeling aggressive so I did elliptical for 60 mins on a really high resistance.  I was focusing on contracting my abs and keeping my core tight the entire time (look ma, no hands).  Then I did some 5 minute intervals of walking and running on the tread mill, followed by a lot of stretching and a bit of abs/arms on the mats.  All in all, I left the gym feeling like I worked my butt off, which is the idea, after all.

On the way home I did some very necessary grocery shopping.

IMG_0765

Can you tell what I was craving?  I was at the market that sells local produce and I went a little veggie crazy.  It looked SO good though, plus, I like supporting local growers, even though the prices are kinda insane some times. 

IMG_0766

Brussels, brocc, cauli, bell pepps in every color, and BN squash.  Mmmmmm…

I also got some other goodies.

IMG_0767

Massive bags of carob covered raisins and dried figs :)  Dangerous to buy in bulk, but hey, I’m livin’ on the edge!

Dinner was an obvious choice.

 IMG_0778

Ummm…how CUTE is this heart shaped bowl!  (Thanks Molly!!!!!)

IMG_0779

Course 1 = veggies with hummus

 IMG_0777

Course 2 = BN squash baked to perfection

IMG_0774

IMG_0780

Course 3 = Brussels (+ evoo drizz & salt)

Yeah, after this I was ridic full.  I had a food baby fo sho’ (like 6 months along, too, none of this preggers Eva Longoria business).

A few hours later I was “hungry” for dessert though.  I use “ ” only because I don’t know if I was actually hungry, so much as craving my secret cupid goodies.  They were just mocking me from across the room, crying eat me, eat me!!!  And in Alice in Wonderland fashion, I caved…

IMG_0749

Coconut date rolls, carob raisins, and dried fruit assortment.  This was only the photographed portion (eek).  Sadly, the chocolate bar had to be pried from my hands at this point…

IMG_0754

Mmmmm.

Anyways, on to real matters.  No, my post’s title isn’t a Valentine’s Day reference, it’s to help raise public awareness about heart disease.  February is heart month…and being a cardiac ICU nurse, I feel it is my job to spread the word.  After all, I do patient teaching on a daily basis, explaining what a heart healthy diet is and the lifestyle changes that post cardiac surgery patients need to start, so it’s only natural for it to seep it’s way into my blog, right? 

 

Heart disease is the LEADING cause of death among women.  Crazy right?  I mean something that we can actually take major steps to prevent and/or decrease should NOT be such a prevalent issue in our society.  And yet, we are still struggling despite the fact that this national campaign has been around since 1963.   You can visit the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women site for tons of info ranging from how to get involved to simple steps you can take to get healthier.  As a food blogging community, I think we are generally more knowledgeable about cholesterol and fat, and their sources (animal products), but here are some tips just because:

  • Limit your intake of fat
  • Choose heart-healthy fats over saturated fats and trans fats
  • Limit your intake of sugars
  • Limit your intake of sodium/salt
  • Choose more whole grains, legumes, fresh produce and low fat dairy products
  • Choose lean meat and poultry
  • Include fish in your diet
  • Exercise portion control
  • Become physically active for 30 to 60 minutes a day
  • Stop smoking
  • Limit your intake of alcohol

***Don’t forget to spread the word, let’s get Americans off our fat arses and start eating and exercising to live better, healthier and longer lives!!!

GR-90-101B[1]

I bought this pin last week and have been rocking it ever since to support the cause.

10 comments:

  1. Eats look yum!
    I love yogurt+banana combo too! Of course I add extra cinnamon.

    I got the chocolate at Whole Foods. They are pricey BUT worth the cost. It's yummylicious ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided that crumbling bars into yogurt is my new favorite pasttime!

    Thanks for all the heart health info, definitely something Americans need to see and hear more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Great info...My gramps just had open heart surgery last week- he's recovering..but it's definitely hard on our family...he has diabetes so all that diet/exercise info is now a life or death thing for him! Have a good weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for sharing about the heart information!

    And oh wow, love your grocery haul! mmmm yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT post. I don't sleep nearly enough either! I get about 6 hrs/night during the week. Sometimes less, sometimes a lil more. Dried fruit and tons of veggies=so yum! I am going to get some brussels today- love them all roasted up!

    Love the heart healthy tips too! I follow all of those except fish...I just can't do the fish.

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the produce, girl!! Isn't it always a tragedy when you're out of the veggies?

    Thanks for all the heart healthy tips :)

    HAPPY FRIDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great workout! Don't you feel amazing after those long sessions? I am gonna try for one of those later today!

    Thanks for the heart healthy tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah I learned that <3 disease was high among women. Also that it's more likely that a woman dies from a <3 attack than it is of a man. It's so shocking! I guess because our society doesn't expect it that it goes untreated.

    Thanks for the list and posting this up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh all that produce looks so good! Good choice on the brussel sprouts. Oh I love those so much.

    Thanks for all the facts of heart disease. My grandma had that.

    Great job on the elliptical, you killed it, and have inspired me to hop to the gym soon to get my sweat on.

    ReplyDelete