Friday, October 3, 2008

brrr...i heart comfort food

So, the weather here has definitely changed. It is cold. No two ways about it. And yet, I still found it in me to start off the day with iced coffee?

Plus vanilla silk soy milk. I am thinking I should just start investing in bigger silk cartons, since it has been established this will be a staple in my diet. Who am I kidding, this isn't just a phase...

Here's the iced coffee + silk soy milk

For breakfast I had some dried fruit (the rest of the papayas, I finished the pineapples a while ago). I tried so hard to get my butt to the gym, but it was just too hard. I decided to make up for my laziness by being productive in the apartment though...lots of long overdue cleaning went down.
Later for lunch I decided I needed some serious veggies. It has been way too long since I have had a "big salad." I had an organic lettuce blend with fresh broccoli and carrots that I chopped up. Then I threw in some cherry tomatoes and mushrooms (obviously also organic, plus all the veggies were locally grown). I topped it off with some dried cranberries and raisins, and voila!
Dinner was a pasta experiment. I steamed some fresh broccoli (I bought a crap load bc it was cheap so you'll notice it in a ton of upcoming meals/recipes), then I made Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted whole grain penne pasta. For a sauce I tried to make a fake cheese/parmesan topping (I have heard quite a bit about the brand "Vega!" but still haven't found it in stores). I used a big spoonful of Earth Balance's soy garden spread PLUS the entire bag of "Veggie" blended "cheese" shreds of Parm, Mozz, & Romano flavors. I also added a bit of ff plain Chobani to get the right consistency.
How real does that cheesy pasta look! (I should note, there are a few things I would tweak with this recipe next time). First of all, it was good, but not that flavorful. I needed a lot of salt, which I don't really like doing to home made recipes. Second, it was really expensive in the end, all those products were $$$ and the yield wasn't multiple meals worth (at least not with my kind of appetite). And finally, I don't really feel like it was that healthy. Granted I was in the mood for some warm comfort food, which by definition is not healthy, but still...I will try to modify this again later. Maybe a different soy cheese product?

Dessert (not pictured) was yogurt covered raisins (a LOT) and regular raisins. Mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment